/
Historical legends

Historical legends

Legends are ancient in origin and partially coincide with myths. Folk traditions from generation to generation, through retelling, turn into fantasy and fantasies of storytellers and are intertwined with fabulous, supernatural, adventurous, fictional details.

Kneginec legends

The Kneginec region is full of various narratives and legends that have been preserved from oblivion and which provide answers to many interesting questions about Kneginec:
  • How was the tunnel built at the exit of the Kehne Fortress?
  • Where and how was the brick made, where did the “technological” knowledge of that time come from?
  • Where did the finely carved stone blocks on the surrounding houses, basements and closets come from?
  • Why did the plan to make today’s Kneginec a maritime port fail?
The answers to these and many other questions, in manuscript or in their mind, are kept by local chroniclers of time.

The legend of King Andrew II.

King Andrew II was imprisoned in the Kneginec tower from 1203 to 1204, to whom the kneginians and varaždin purgars, according to legend, brought food, more precisely plums, since this is a vineyard and plum region. When he became king, in gratitude to his faithful caretakers, he awarded Varaždin the title of free royal city in 1209.

Jase in Kneginac

According to legend, today’s center of Kneginac was inhabited in ancient times. In the narrative, the wooden tower is remembered as an observation post and watchtower of the Illyrian tribe Jase who settled Varaždinske Toplice. Jase inhabited hot springs since they were known as doctors of the time. In order to protect themselves from the intruders of the time, according to legend, they lived in a small settlement in the area of today’s church.

Tatar attack on Kehne Castle

The following story moves to the early Middle Ages, at the time of Arpadović. On the property of today’s church in Kneginac, there was a castle, a fortress by the standards of the time, later called “Kehne”. As there has always been a danger of attackers, underground escape tunnels have also been built. Legend has it that 1242. a company of Tatars attacked kehne castle, which at the time housed one of Andrew II’s daughters. with his entourage. Defending themselves against the attackers and seeing that they were losing the battle, they fled through an underground tunnel. The Tatars entered the fortress but found none of the men. As the inhabitants of the fortress fled in speed, they took certain valuables with them. When they appeared in the fortress, on Kalnik, they did not bring any of their valuables because they left everything in tunnels, with the intention of later coming for the abandoned valuables. Legend has it, how the treasure is still where they left it and was never found because the tunnel was partially collapsed.

Visit of the “Black Queen” to the Princess

The “Black Queen” was called Barabara Celska, she was not in good repute, something like a witch and an evil woman in a black suit. She looked terrifying. On one of her travels, with her boys, who accompanied her, she stopped by the damaged fortress “Kehne” and spent the night there. As the locals feared her for stealing their food and harassing them, nobles from the surrounding villages clashed with the “Black Queen”. Barbara had to flee in turmoil and along the way it was noticed that they were missing a suitcase that remained hidden somewhere around the fortress. The suitcase was never found and has remained in the same place to this day.

Princess Maria

In the court, in Kneginac, lived princess Marija, who loved fried skins of young chickens. In order to win the favor of the beautiful princess, varaždin purgari would bring her fried chickens. The young men thus courted the princess and competed in whose chickens the beautiful princess would be the best.

Legends of Iliev

The Legend of the White Friar

Every evening the white friar sat at the entrance to Seketin Castle and preo. Superstitious peasants were afraid of the specter that the vincillier (vineyard manager) of the Varaždin city judge used to wrap himself with his servants in a white sheet and frighten the people. When all the peasants locked themselves in houses in the evening, vincilir was stealing grapes undisturbed in neighboring vineyards (source: Branko Svoboda: “Old wine-growing manors and huts on Varaždinbreg”).

Beretinec legends

Legend of the border between Podravina and Zagorje

This legend says that the main road that passes through the Municipality of Beretinec is the border between Podravina and Zagorje. The lower part towards Varaždin is a lowland area, while the upper part is adorned with beautiful hills.
Beretinec was named after the bereks (ponds), and Beletinec after King Beli and the nearby estate of the same name.
At Beretinac, the battle with the Mongols took place when they broke into Croatia.

Podravina hedgehog

Dragutin Antolek lived and worked on the estate of his stepmother Oryšek in Beretinac, who later added the surname Orešek in honor of his stepmother.
Being an opponent of german and hungarian authorities, he was expelled for a while and took refuge in Vienna. Upon his return to his native land, he decided to continue in politics and prepared texts in the country curia in Beretinec in 1862. In 1999, he published in the famous Platzer printing house called “Podravski jež”, which was the first satirical newspaper in Croatia. As he ridiculed the increasingly present Germanization, the authorities banned further printing and it came out in only one issue.
Antolek Orešek was known as the founder of the singing society “Vila”, the woven Illyrian and as a longtime president of theatre volunteers. He did not have much success in political life and retired to his estate where he was in 1883. He ended his turbulent life.

Vidovečke legends

Legend of the Krkanac Wine University

“Let’s raise the cups, gentlemen! Let’s drink to the ex! This is a condition for enrollment in the first semester” – the piercing voice of Count Baltazar Patačić roared through the hall in Krkanac.

“That’s it! And now let’s listen to the first lesson that we will call – “In vino veritas”. Anyone who wants to become a member of “Pinta” and a doctor of wine sciences has to smash a lot of wine shops.”

The laughter and noise of the young noblemen who gathered on Krkanac from nearby estates and even from Zagreb, accompanied the host’s invitation, and then there was silence that was disturbed by the chatter of wine, which disappeared in noble throats. Then the whole gathering, facing the table on which the “Pinta” full of wine was next to the lit candles, was addressed by the host, Count Patačić, with the following words like a prayer.

“Now Sorbono, shut up- I’ll say no offense. Those whom you place among the doctors and to whom you open the way to honor will scarcely be able to become students in this house. This is a real school of doctors, this learned Minerva potions provides learned science and doctors with medical skills, opens laws to lawyers and breviary to priests. He gives the soldiers a shield, the people complete security. She respects human rights, and she doesn’t want to violate God either. In Pinta, namely, there is a quintessence of science that gives speech persuasiveness and poetry loveliness. So after few others, it rightfully becomes the fifth college.”

With these words of Count Patačić, the ceremony of the establishment of the first wine university in Croatia almost three centuries ago was completed.